What You Need To Know About End of Tenancy Cleaning Services
It’s the end of the year and many of us have taken on the adventure of moving residences. While new beginnings can be exhilarating, it can also burden us with stress and anxiety. Whether you rented through an estate agency or directly from the owner, the dreaded end of tenancy inspection can cause even the best of tenants to feel their stomach tied up in knots…. Or perhaps you are a landlord who have been left in the lurch by previous tenants who left your property looking like a pigsty.
Whatever your position, cleaning is a leading cause of distress and deposit dispute between landlords and tenants at the end of a tenant contract. ‘End of tenancy cleaning’ refers to the deep cleaning of a property before a new tenant moves in and may be stipulated as a requirement in your tenant contract. Whether you are the tenant or the landlord in the scenario, here is a checklist to help you to ensure that every nook and cranny has been cleaned out and freshened up for the new tenants.
- Surfaces: wash and polish all work surfaces and floor space; degrease wall tiles.
- Oven: clean the inside of the oven to remove built up grease; clean extractor fan; clean and polish outside of oven and polish metal surfaces
- Electrical stove top: clean metal hot plates; polish metal surfaces.
- Gas stove: remove griddles and grates from burner caps to clean and polish surfaces; fit burner caps correctly and replace cleaned grates.
- Fridge and freezer: defrost freezer; clean all shelves and surfaces inside and outside; leave appliance with door open (switched off) for new tenant
- Kitchen cupboards: remove all items from cupboards; vacuum or sweep inside to remove crumbs and dust; wipe inside and outside with soapy wet cloth
- Sinks and taps: clean and polish al taps; remove lime scale
- Dishwasher: clean filters and soap dish; clean inside and outside
- Appliances: clean exterior of all appliances (kettle, toaster, microwave); shake out toaster crumbs; empty and clean inside of kettle; clean inside of microwave as well as microwave plate
- Rubbish Bins: clean interior and exterior.
- Shower: unblock and clean drain; de-scale shower tiles and door; clean and polish taps; clean grouting
- Bath & sink: remove all shampoos, soaps etc.; unblock and clean drains; de-scale inside of tub and sink
- Taps & Mirrors: clean and polish
- Floor: tiles to be washed and polished, carpets to be vacuumed
- Wall tiles: clean grouting; polish
- Toilet: de-scale and brush clean; clean and disinfect seat
Bedrooms, Living areas and general
- Furniture: move every piece of furniture to vacuum underneath as well as skirting board behind; vacuum upholstery and cushions
- Dusting: ensure that all areas are cleared of dust and cobwebs, including lamp shades and light fittings, window sills, skirting boards, curtain rails, mirrors, radiators and fans
- Mattresses: lift to vacuum underneath; vacuum mattresses
- Floors & carpets: wash and polish floors; vacuum carpets; remove stains
- Glass & metal surfaces: mirrors, furniture tops, picture frames must be cleaned with window cleaner
- Wooden surfaces: wipe with soft cloth and wood polish
- Doors: door handles, top of door and surface of door to be cleaned; door handles to be polished
- Windows: clean inside with window cleaner;
- Drawers, shelves, cupboards: clear of all items; vacuum or dust inside; wipe with damp cloth
Plan B: End of Tenancy Cleaning Services
Worried that you won’t have the time to take care of the end of tenancy deep cleaning? You can opt for calling in the help of a cleaning service to take care of it for you! Skitterblink’s team of cleaning professionals will save you the hassle and anxiety of cleaning, giving you the reassurance that the task has been taken care of with thoroughness while you get on with your move.
Skitterblink Cleaning Services is a leading provider of professional housekeeping services. With locations across South Africa, it’s easy to find a location near you. Visit http://www.skitterblink.co.za/cleaning-franchisees/
Skitterblink – Empowering 10 000 Dreamers
Your Sparkling Solution!